How long does it take to get a mortgage?The length of time it will take you to get a mortgage depends on several different factors:
• How long you take to do your side of things, like finding and sending documents
• How long it takes for your mortgage broker to do their side of things
• How long it takes for the lender to approve your application
Here’s how the application process works, so you know roughly when you can expect to get your mortgage approved.
Many people decide to get a mortgage agreement in principle before they apply for a mortgage. Lenders will ask for some basic information and perform a credit search so they can provide a figure that they would be able to lend ‘in principle’. This isn't, however, a guarantee that you’ll be offered a mortgage but it can be useful to show estate agents that you’re serious about buying and may speed up your application once you’ve found a property you want to buy.
How long does a mortgage application take?
Completing the mortgage application itself shouldn’t take too long, typically a couple of hours, but you’ll need to make sure your finances are in order and you can find all the information you need. In order to assess your reliability as a borrower and how much you can borrow, lenders will want to know the following about you;
• How much your outgoings are, including things like childcare and pension contributions
• What your income is, including any bonuses or overtime
• ID to prove your identity and current address
• Details of the property you want to buy
• Your estate agent’s and solicitor’s details.
You’ll need to be able to provide evidence of income and be able to demonstrate you can afford the mortgage as part of your application.
Once the lender has reviewed all your information, performed a credit check, and has all the supporting documentation they require from you, they will then want to arrange a valuation of the property you are buying. This can sometimes take a couple of weeks or longer, as the surveyor will need to visit the property, write up their report and submit it to the lender. After the lender has reviewed the valuation and is happy with it, they should at that point be able to approve your application and formally offer you a mortgage. As a general rule, you can expect it to take between around 18-40 days for your application to be processed, but if your application is complex it could take longer.